The Soju Experience

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Judge, Mr Boozificator, NYDingbat, Giles Humbert III, steved2112, Barca, Palinka

The Soju Experience

Postby Bacos » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:19 pm

My buddy just got back from a trip to Korea and he got me a bottle of Soju. I did some research on it, sounds fun! I was just wondering about its packaging. The bottle I got looks like a water bottle, clear plastic. I want to hold on to this for some time... crack it at that special party seeings how it is not your average every day party liquor. Do I need to stash this away like a fine wine or can it sit up on the top shelf of the bar in all it's Korean glory along with the bottle of Saki and other international flavors that I have collected over the years?
"Party Liquor's all I drink!" -Unknown Hinson

"Peace, Love and Hard Liquor, That's all we need" -Unknown Hinson
Bacos
Souse
Souse

Re: The Soju Experience

Postby Badfellow » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:39 pm

Soju is fun stuff. Very tricky, because one minute you're cruising along just fine, and the next minute you're reeling into walls on the way to the puker. Good times, that.

A particular girl I dated in high school, her parents were both 1st gen. Korean immagrants. They introduced me to kimchi, among other things. One night her father decided he wanted to get me drunk on soju so he could see what sort of boy his daughter was dating. Apparently we got along smashingly while I drank myself stupid. I remember next to nothing of that night. I saw her years later after college and she said her father still asked about me sometimes. What ever happened to soju boy?

Soju is more in the realm of a booze than an actual wine, isn't it? I'd think you could keep the bottle proudly on the bar without fear of it degrading.
There is no drink quite like the drunk with whom you've drank
Badfellow
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Postby Chimneyfish » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:35 am

It's usually classified as a vodka isn't it? I don't see why you'd have to lay it down. The only reason that's done with wine is to keep the corks wet so they don't dry out and oxidize the wine.
Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Postby Gin McGuinness » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:40 am

oh stop fretting and just find some friends in Asia that can restock you when you want more!
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound
Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Gin n' Tonicus

Postby Badfellow » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:08 am

Gin McGuinness wrote:oh stop fretting and just find some friends in Asia that can restock you when you want more!

Friend? I'm shipping myself in a cargo container to your address there on the sunny shores of SlingaWhore. Make sure I have bourbon for calories and styrofoam peanuts for a blanket.

So-ju want another? Aye, punnish.
There is no drink quite like the drunk with whom you've drank
Badfellow
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Gin n' Tonicus

Postby Gin McGuinness » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:01 am

Badfellow wrote:
Gin McGuinness wrote:oh stop fretting and just find some friends in Asia that can restock you when you want more!

Friend? I'm shipping myself in a cargo container to your address there on the sunny shores of SlingaWhore. Make sure I have bourbon for calories and styrofoam peanuts for a blanket.

So-ju want another? Aye, punnish.

You better be singing when we open that container in the ship yards! I'd take ya in, show ya a good time and then turn you over to Bundy for your grand finale. What are you planning to collect your... um.... refuse in?
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound
Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Postby Bacos » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:03 am

Not an issue and taken care of! Living in the area of a military compound, someone is on the move to that neck of the woods often.

I ask more as this being a gift I don't see as your average bottle, something for a rainy day.

Bacos
Souse
Souse

Postby Illiniwek » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:11 am

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soju#Etiquette

It tells about the drink as well as drinking etiquette. I love wikipedia.
Illiniwek
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Postby ***** » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:59 am

Soju pales to Sake in every cetegory in my experience. Here in LA, many "health-concious" places (and those that don't have a hard liquor license) use Soju in place of Vodak in their cocktails. Soju Screwdriver? Count me out. Soju w/shushi? An insult to the spirits of you ancestors. Soju with bulgogi? I suppose, but give me one of their delicious beers (Hite comes to mind) and some Bourbon just like a proper BBQ. Soju is the middle child of dinner drinks.
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Postby Bacos » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:25 pm

huh, only around 20% ABV what the hell gives it such a punch?

Bacos
Souse
Souse

Postby GetDrunkStayDrunk » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Badfellow wrote:Soju is fun stuff. Very tricky, because one minute you're cruising along just fine, and the next minute you're reeling into walls on the way to the puker. Good times, that.

A particular girl I dated in high school, her parents were both 1st gen. Korean immagrants. They introduced me to kimchi, among other things. One night her father decided he wanted to get me drunk on soju so he could see what sort of boy his daughter was dating. Apparently we got along smashingly while I drank myself stupid. I remember next to nothing of that night. I saw her years later after college and she said her father still asked about me sometimes. What ever happened to soju boy?

Soju is more in the realm of a booze than an actual wine, isn't it? I'd think you could keep the bottle proudly on the bar without fear of it degrading.

Crank that soju boy.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Postby MethFront » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:41 pm

One of my preferred respites from reality.

It is a weak rice-vodka, rich in flavours and stealthy in its attack... like a ninja. Shochu is the japanese variant. Drink cheap ones cold and good ones also cold. It doesn't have the same range as an expensive sake but it most certainly gets the job done. For all of its power it certainly goes down smooth.
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."
-my father
MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Postby Screwball » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:48 pm

I know I live in the boondocks, my head so far up my ass that I have to have my zipper open to see where I'm going, and I'm a borderline illiterate, but I thought I have at least heard of all the Booze in the world.

I have never heard of Soju. Something new to try on payday. Cool.
Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Postby cloud8 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm

In my last company there was a cool guy who brought in interesting stuff. Bonomo's Turkish Taffee, the last movie he submitted to Sundance, the Italian Mickey Mouse for a woman who'd just had a baby, etc. One day he brought in betel nuts, and they looked like eyeballs. Then he brought in kim chi. What is that stuff, fermented cabbage? We ate it in the company kitchen and it stunk up the whole floor. People complained and a memo was issued denouncing smelly food. Maybe the offensive smell could have been mitigated by some Soju. Better yet bring in a more effective lubricant. You know like Bourbon.
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts
cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Postby MethFront » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:08 pm

cloud8 wrote:Then he brought in kim chi. What is that stuff, fermented cabbage?

Pickled, actually. Kimchi is majestically magical awesomeness. A vegetable with the cajones to be worthy of enjoyment by Real Men™. It is an achievement of mankind which might argue against replacing the whole species with robots.

Might.
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."
-my father
MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Next

Return to The Pub