Club Soda as a ward against hangover?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Judge, Mr Boozificator, NYDingbat, Giles Humbert III, steved2112, Barca, Palinka

Club Soda as a ward against hangover?

Postby frankennietzsche » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:40 pm

It seems to work for me. Two nights in the past week, I would take a short break from dinking and down a fairly large amount of clug soda, then continiue drinking. The next day, little or no hangover.

Do you think it's just the ammount of liquid consumed or could the sodium, carbonation and/or any of the other scant ingredients in it affect this prevention? (I tried mineral water but to little avail, by the way.)
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"
frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Postby Gin McGuinness » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:57 pm

I found club soda a hangover helper too. But usually in the morning with mineral salts stirred in.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound
Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Postby ***** » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:43 pm

I'd have to go with the hydration.

Here's a differential diagnosis I found in a medical text I used to get my degree. Yes, my books had advertisements in them.

"Professor McBoozington's Olde Timey Home Remedies have been trusted by Women of Breeding for years. Finally, you too can bubble Demon Rum out of your bloodstream with Dr. McBoozington's Carbonificated Hydrastatic Exiler. Now with more laudenum!"
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Postby Mallory Knox » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:47 pm

The hair of the dog...
Nuff said.
ivan wrote:Bring it! You foe me, and I'll make brilliant posts that you won't see!
Mallory Knox
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Postby Hangover Heartattack » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:48 pm

green tea works for me. I'll have to try this club soda method.
Hangover Heartattack
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Postby Leftboston » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I have to say the scotch and club soda drinking I have done this year have been very good about hangovers. And yes I will just shoot some club soda or flavored sparling waterin the middle of the endrunkening just to freshen up and revive myself.
Leftboston
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Postby Tipsy McStagger » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:08 pm

I'm not a fan of clubs, or their soda. But if it works for you, beat my guest.
Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Club Soda as a ward against hangover?

Postby Gauge Macfearson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:27 pm

Frankennietzsche wrote:It seems to work for me. Two nights in the past week, I would take a short break from dinking and down a fairly large amount of clug soda, then continiue drinking. The next day, little or no hangover.

Do you think it's just the ammount of liquid consumed or could the sodium, carbonation and/or any of the other scant ingredients in it affect this prevention? (I tried mineral water but to little avail, by the way.)

Sounds to me like a job for the Myth Busters.

Those guys are pretty busy these days though, so I'll get right on it this weekend.
Gauge Macfearson
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Postby frankennietzsche » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:13 pm

I had two or three pints of club soda last night before I left the Mag Bar after a few beers and many rounds of shots and apparently I became an Admiral, somehow. I got home and had a couple of beers. No hangover today to speak of, but it wasn't the heaviest of drinking nights, either.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"
frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Postby whiskeyprick » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:08 am

Tipsy McStagger wrote:I'm not a fan of clubs, or their soda. But if it works for you, beat my guest.

concur, but the clubs own the stains.

Long time No Stagger. Nice to read something you wrote 2 days ago via instantaneous world web tron. Cheers.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald
whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Postby Tipsy McStagger » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:45 pm

whiskeyprick wrote:
Tipsy McStagger wrote:I'm not a fan of clubs, or their soda. But if it works for you, beat my guest.

concur, but the clubs own the stains.

Long time No Stagger. Nice to read something you wrote 2 days ago via instantaneous world web tron. Cheers.

Nice to see you read it~ and missed me as well. Someday your aim will get better young grasshopper...someday...

Anywho, my biggest problem with club soda is it dinks the drink. Even when I make an Old Fashioned, I use water, not soda. I guess I'm a purist. As far as hangovers are concerned, I don't drink sweet drinks-ergo no hangover.
Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Postby Resident Asshole » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:44 pm

Tipsy McStagger wrote:Anywho, my biggest problem with club soda is it dinks the drink. Even when I make an Old Fashioned, I use water, not soda. I guess I'm a purist.

I would hope so. If anyone put club soda in my old fasihoned I would be totally pissed.

I think it is simply the hydration that keeps the hangover away. I agree with the doctor.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619
Resident Asshole

Re:

Postby JimLahey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Mallory Knox wrote:The hair of the dog...
Nuff said.

Yeah, this. Suffer through your workday, down a few beers and its all good.
JimLahey
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Postby Mr. Viking » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:51 am

club soda is good for rehydration because it can have a few different salts in it, which need replacing if you've been sweating or pissing too much. should make you feel a bit better. could just be that it's nice and fizzy and settles your gippy tummy. I prefer to think however, that it is magic, and whatever brand of soda water you drink pump a little bit of hope and wonderment into each bottle just to make you feel better when hungover
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best
Mr. Viking

Postby DeeboCools » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Ambwent wrote:Hangover is the after effect of excessive consumption of alcohol...Eating is also beneficial for getting relief from hangover..Eat something before and after drinking also helps to get rid of after effects of hangover...
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for : home remedies for hangover | home remedies for toothache

DEATH TO ALL ROBOTS. HI-YAAAAH!
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James
DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Next

Return to The Art of Getting Hammered